FESTO, the German-based industrial manufacturer and eCATALOGsoultions customer, is rapidly advancing the field of robotics by “borrowing” from nature’s most perfect designs. Video courtesy CBS Sunday Morning News.
FESTO is moving beyond the traditional “rigid” robots, which could pose a danger to humans, as well as delicate products, by creating “soft” robots. Looking to provide solutions to some of the oldest robot-related issues, FESTO is modeling their inventions after the animal kingdom.
Elephant Trunk Robot: Replicating the flexible and bone-less design was no easy task. The super-strong trunk features more then 40,000 flexible muscles.
Fish Tail Gripper: Looking at add a soft grip when handling food and produce items, FESTO created a gripper which “cups” the item when pressure is applied instead of squishing it. Brilliant!
- Up to 140,000 downloads per month.
- CADENAS technology with 3D CAD models is seamlessly integrated online catalog.
- 2D and 3D CAD data considerably reduce the design engineer’s workload.
Latest posts by Adam Beck (see all)
- Aignep USA Launches NFPA Cylinder Configurator and On-Demand CAD Files, Powered by CADENAS PARTsolutions - June 1, 2020
- Scientifically Cheating: Engineering the Auto-Strike Bowling Ball! - May 14, 2020
- 46M Industrial CAD downloads (= sales leads) in April show the Power of Digital Tools for Manufacturers - May 13, 2020