FESTO Use Biomimicry to Create Fish Tail and Robotic Elephant Trunk
FESTO, the German-based industrial manufacturer and eCATALOGsoultions customer, is rapidly advancing the field of robotics by “borrowing” from nature’s most perfect designs. Video courtesy CBS Sunday Morning News.
FESTO is moving beyond the traditional “rigid” robots, which could pose a danger to humans, as well as delicate products, by creating “soft” robots. Looking to provide solutions to some of the oldest robot-related issues, FESTO is modeling their inventions after the animal kingdom.
Elephant Trunk Robot: Replicating the flexible and bone-less design was no easy task. The super-strong trunk features more then 40,000 flexible muscles.
Fish Tail Gripper: Looking at add a soft grip when handling food and produce items, FESTO created a gripper which “cups” the item when pressure is applied instead of squishing it. Brilliant!
Cool design but I feel like I’ve seen it somewhere before…
- Up to 140,000 downloads per month.
- CADENAS technology with 3D CAD models is a seamlessly integrated online catalog.
- 2D and 3D CAD data considerably reduce the design engineer’s workload.
The following two tabs change content below.
Director of Marketing at CADENAS PARTsolutions | A Marketing graduate from the Miami University, Farmer School of Business in Oxford Ohio, Adam has years of experience in marketing and design for a variety of industries.
Latest posts by Adam Beck (see all)
- Native CAD Content: CADENAS Expands Manufacturer Catalogs with New Formats - February 24, 2023
- 3D Part Download Stats: Record Year for Manufacturer CAD Delivery (2022 Stats) - February 23, 2023
- Dimensioned 3D Previews Deliver Enhanced Customer Experience for Manufacturer Components - February 14, 2023