FESTO, the German-based industrial manufacturer and eCATALOGsoultions customer, is rapidly advancing the field of robotics by “borrowing” from nature’s most perfect designs. Video courtesy CBS Sunday Morning News.
FESTO is moving beyond the traditional “rigid” robots, which could pose a danger to humans, as well as delicate products, by creating “soft” robots. Looking to provide solutions to some of the oldest robot-related issues, FESTO is modeling their inventions after the animal kingdom.
Elephant Trunk Robot: Replicating the flexible and bone-less design was no easy task. The super-strong trunk features more then 40,000 flexible muscles.
Fish Tail Gripper: Looking at add a soft grip when handling food and produce items, FESTO created a gripper which “cups” the item when pressure is applied instead of squishing it. Brilliant!
Cool design but I feel like I’ve seen it somewhere before…
- Up to 140,000 downloads per month.
- CADENAS technology with 3D CAD models is a seamlessly integrated online catalog.
- 2D and 3D CAD data considerably reduce the design engineer’s workload.
Latest posts by Adam Beck (see all)
- Does your internal part library contain duplicate or obsolete parts? - October 12, 2022
- Engineering the Bubble Wrap Jukebox With Simone Giertz [VIDEO] - September 23, 2022
- Does Your Engineering Department Work in a Multi-CAD Environment? - September 12, 2022