Engineers working in specialized, regulated industries are often required to specify the components within their projects are up to government standards. These unique components or “standards” are mandated for safety purposes on aerospace and defense projects, to ensure they have the strength and durability necessary for the job. What many engineering teams forget is that the digital representation of these products is as important as the physical product. Engineers need to also specify the CAD standards into their project in the design phase to ensure they are properly sourced when the project Bill-of-materials (BOM) is sent to procurement.
In the past, sourcing these CAD standards was a manual task where engineers had to translate a 2D representation into a 3D model. This manual translation created an opportunity for errors and often omitted critical meta data needed by sourcing and procurement. That has all changed thanks to the Society of Automotive Engineers launching their new native CAD models for the SAE-AS Aerospace Standard
SAE-AS 3D CAD Models are now available from IHS Markit and CADENAS PARTsolutions for use directly within Dassault Solidworks and other CAD platforms. The new tool delivers standard 3D parts directly into an engineer’s open CAD project, streamlining the specification process.
By providing access to their 3D part library and providing CAD models in more than 150 formats, SAE is ensuring their digital solution is as rock-solid as the physical products they sell. CADENAS PARTsolutions technology platform enables SAE and IHS to deliver product models in Autodesk AutoCAD®, Autodesk Inventor®, SolidWorks®, Solid Edge®, PTC Wildfire® and CREO®, Siemens NX®, CATIA®, and many more.
- Shorter design cycles
- Increased engineering productivity
- Quality assured by implementing SAE certified CAD models
- Increased consistency and standardization in parts used on projects
- Greater accuracy on bills of materials (BOM)
The SAE AS catalog is also available in the CADENAS PARTsolutions Strategic Parts Management platform for engineering teams seeking full integration into their CAD and PLM systems.
Latest posts by Adam Beck (see all)
- 3D Part Download Stats: Record Year for Manufacturer CAD Delivery (Updated for 2019) - January 9, 2020
- Mobile 3D CAD Models App for Engineers to Find, Preview and Download Component Parts - December 3, 2019
- Certified SAE-AS Native CAD standards: 3D Parts Models for Dassault Solidworks - October 30, 2019